- Our group received support from the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation!
- Congratulations to Mary Waddington for receiving a 2017 Space Scholar Fellowship. Mary will spend her summer with our collaborators at the Kirtland Air Force Base in New Mexico studying electrodeposition of metallic films supported by boron cluster-based electrolytes.
- Congratulations to Elaine Qian who received two awards from the ACS Women Chemists Committee (WCC): 2017 Eli Lilly Travel Award and 2017 Merck Research Award.
- Congratulations to Paul Chong, who is now a freshly minted ACS Society of Chemical Industry (SCI) Scholar. This award will allow Paul to spend a summer in sunny Texas conducting a research internship at Hexion studying thermoset resin materials.
- Our group has hosted a Main Group Symposium featuring guest lectures by Prof. Susannah Scott (UCSB), Prof. Makoto Yamashita (Nagoya) and Prof. Simon Aldridge (Oxford) as well as lectures by students and post-docs from our sister UC institutions (see photos below).
- Congratulations to Rafal Dziedzic, Ali Gonzalez and Talia Saravi for receiving Departmental Awards: http://www.chemistry.ucla.edu/news/2016-departmental-awards-ceremony.
- Congratulations to the Spokoyny Laboratory for several excellent new manuscripts being published (see publications section).
- The Spokoyny group has hosted a 2016 SoCal Organometallics Meeting ay UCLA: https://scom.chem.ucsb.edu/meeting/socal-organometallics-xvii.
- Alex Spokoyny has delivered several talks this quarter all around United States including: Virginia Tech, University of Missouri, CSU Long Beach and Argonne National Laboratory.
- Alex has also been honored with the selectition to 2016 class of Talented 12 by C&EN. Full profile can be found here: http://talented12.cenmag.org/alex-spokoyny/.
Congratulations to our newly minted graduates: Yanwu Shao (B.S. Chemistry), Daniel Mosallaei (B.S. Biochemistry), Jena Kim (B.S. Biochemistry), Parker Beatty (B.S. Biochemistry) and Elamar Hakim Moully (B.S./M.S. Chemistry).
Yanwu graduated with Departmental Honors and received a Geissman Award for Excellence in Organic Chemistry. He will be joining the Chemistry Department at TAMU College Station pursuing his Ph.D. degree. Daniel received Departmental Highest Honors and will be applying to M.D. programs this year. Elamar will be joining Northwestern's Chemistry Department pursuing her Ph.D. degree.
Additionally, Azin Saebi received an Ethel Terry McCoy Award for Excellence in Chemistry and Biochemistry.
In other news, Alice Phung will be joining the Chemistry and Biochemistry department at UC Davis in pursuit of her doctoral degree. Finally, Vinh Nguyen recently started his work as a chemist at Pharmatek in San Diego.
Kent wins a prize at the Research Pitch Competition. Alex presents to the visiting students at the Outreach and Diversity Day and gives and outreach talk at CSU Chico. Azin and Alejandra become CARE Fellows; Yanwu is a 2015-2016 Undergraduate Research Scholar. Kent, Rafal and Liban win a Poster Prize at the Seaborg Symposium. New undergraduate members join the group: Monica Kirollos, Paul Chong and Azin Saebi.
Elamar Moully has been selected for a Departmental Scholar Program. This program allows exceptional UCLA undergraduates to pursue their Masters degree simultaneously with their Bachelors degree.
Elaine receives an NIH CBI Training Fellowship for her project on atomically-precise nanoparticle therapeutics.